Nokia have released a new firmware version for the Nokia N95, version 188.8.131.52
I updated to it late last night, and so far i have noticed a number of improvements.
Changes in the new firmware
* New Welcome application
* New camera software and tweaks from the 8GB model – FAR faster shot to shot time, with ‘Processing image message’ during any delays. I suspect the image processing algorithms have changed too, to remove some of the remaining artificial edge enhancement in the v12 firmware.
* Long press on camera button launches camera if shutter is open
* New My Nokia SMS tips and mobile web portal system
* Demand paging (for ROM applications) with 30 plus MB free RAM after booting.
* Search 4.0 integration on standby screen.
* Old multimedia menu still there, i.e. it’s not the new style
* N-Gage game previews (FIFA, Asphalt) and portal/shortcut to upcoming N-Gage client, as in N81 and N95 8GB
* Nokia Music Store client, although the store server hasn’t been updated to handle the N95 yet – maybe this’ll happen later today
* Keypress bug gone(!), I think
* No auto-screen rotation, looks like I was wrong predicting this, so we need Samir’s RotateMe after all – someone please help him get this signed ASAP!
* Assorted other minor tweaks, along the same lines as the N95 8GB, with video ringtones, theme animations and a Circles Music Player visualisation.
Taken from AllAboutSymbian.com
I have personally noticed that the camera is now MUCH quicker to start, and to save pictures. You can now take pictures without having to wait ages for it to save the picture, then return to the camera to take the next one. It takes about 1 second now, which is piles better!
I have also noticed the Demand Paging, which means that you can now leave more things running in the background and not get the annoying “Out of Memory” messages all the time. This is a big improvement on the previous version.
I’ve not noticed many other big changes although i have not really had time to ‘play’ with it yet. Will post again once i’ve tinkered and found out more. This is definitely an important update though, and definitely worth getting.