Having downloaded Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) at work, I decided to install it on my machine at home. While SP1 has been released to manufacturing, it is not publicly released. I decided to document the process and post it here for others to see.
When you first run the installer for SP1 it performs a short setup routine, during which you are told to create backups of your files, and on the final screen that the install my take an hour or more.
A timeline of when each stage was performed:
|0 minutes||Started install|
|13 minutes||Logs off
Screen shows “Configuring updates: Stage 2 of 3” (i believe it did stage 1 first, but it happened very quickly so didn’t see…)
|14 minutes||Machine reboots for the first time|
|15 minutes||Screen shows “Configuring updates: Stage 3 of 3”|
|16 minutes||Screen shows “Configuring updates”|
|19 1/2 minutes||Screen shows “Installing Service Pack: Stage 1 of 3”|
|27 minutes||Screen shows “Installing Service Pack: Stage 2 of 3”
This started extremely slowly (about 3% in 90 seconds) but then sped up and completed very quickly
|30 minutes||Machine reboots for the second time|
|32 minutes||Screen shows “Installing Service Pack: Stage 3 of 3”|
|35 minutes||Install finishes and i am presented with the usual login screen|
(screenshots of the install follows)
This is the screen shown initially, after starting the install. I presume that this is extracting the necessary files to the hard disk.
These 2 screenshots show the two configuring stages (i missed stage 1 it was so quick!). These were followed by a screen simply saying “Configuring updates”.
After a reboot there were 3 stages of installing the service pack. No other information is given on what these stages do but each took 4-7 minutes to complete. Stage 2 was followed by a restart, Stage 3 happened after the machine came back on.
After stage 3 had competed i was presented with the usual login screen. After logging in i was presented with the following message to inform me that i had successfully installed Service Pack 1.
The whole process took 35 minutes from start to finish, i have yet to try and find any differences as a result of the Service Pack but if i find any worth mentioning i will post again.